DRIVING too quickly can be dangerous – and expensive.
While speeding increases your likelihood of being involved in a crash, it also makes you more likely to get a fine or points on your licence.
People get pulled over for driving too quickly all over the UK[/caption]
And that’s something that happens all over the country, with over two million speeding tickets handed out per year.
It’s an easy thing to do by mistake, just like a lot of motoring mishaps.
But there are some parts of the UK where speeding is much more common than in others.
According to data obtained from the DVLA by Wessex Fleet, these are the UK postcodes that have the most people who’ve been “done” for speeding.
Obviously, places with more residents are likely to have more boy and girl racers.
And these figures don’t reveal where the offences took place – though we have a hunch.
UK postcode areas with the most speeding endorsements
- B, Birmingham – 91,566 speeders
- S, Sheffield – 74,069 speeders
- NG, Nottingham – 71,536 speeders
- BS, Bristol – 65,519 speeders
- LS, Leeds – 59,893 speeders
- NE, Newcastle Upon Tyne – 59,523 speeders
- PE, Peterborough – 58,648 speeders
- M, Manchester – 58,072 speeders
- NN, Northampton – 54,656 speeders
- DN, Doncaster – 54,577 speeders
These figures show how many recorded speeding offences on residents’ driving records.
The endorsement codes used for the study include SP10, SP20, SP30, SP40 and SP50, which covers most vehicles across all public roads.
But not all parts of the UK have such a poor driving record.
Some postcode areas have relatively few – though these tend to be the most sparsely populated.
Most read in Motors
Drivers will get fined for driving above the speed limit[/caption]
UK postcode areas with the least speeding endorsements
- ZE, Lerwick – 561 speeders
- WC, Central London, 603 speeders
- HS, Outer Hebrides, 731 speeders
- EC, Eastern Central, 791 speeders
- KW, Kirkwall, 1,731 speeders
- LD, Llandrindod Wells, 2,625 speeders
- TD, Galashiels, 4,546 speeders
- DG, Dumfries and Galloway, 6,691 speeders
- SM, Sutton, 7,939 speeders
- PH, Perth, 8,795 speeders
WC is in the very centre of London and is one of the UK’s busiest areas, but has a relatively low proportion of car ownership.
That explains its position as the second most limit-abiding postcode area in the UK.
The data doesn’t reveal how serious the speeding offences were.
Some could be for infractions just 1mph above the limit.
Ten things YOU should know as a car owner
- When is your MOT due? Find out here
- When is your car tax due? Find out here
- Is it illegal to drive barefoot?
- How many units can you drink and drive?
- What do dashboard warning lights mean?
- Is it illegal to drive without road tax?
- Can you be fined for breaking the highway code?
- How to change the address on your driving licence
- What does MOT stand for?
- Is it illegal to park across someone’s driveway?
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org